Come get muddy with SC Aquarium as they work with DNR South Carolina Oyster Restoration & Enhancement (SCORE) to build the aquarium’s second artificial oyster reef. This will restore the habitat for fishes, crabs, shrimp, and turtles, and help buffer the shoreline against erosion and rising tides. The dates that still had opening are as follows…..
- Monday June 19: 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Tuesday June 20: 9:30 am – 1:30 pm
- Wednesday June 21: 10:30 am – 2:30 pm
The plan is to meet at the Wappoo Cut Boat Ramp, Folly Road Blvd. Located under the Folly Road drawbridge in the West Ashley area of Charleston, SC
What to bring/wear: water to drink, sunscreen, clothes that can get wet and dirty and are appropriate to the weather, closed toed shoes that protect you from oyster shell (tennis shoes and work boots are appropriate; absolutely no flip flops, water shoes, or other sandals that will come off in the pluffmud or expose your feet to very sharp oyster shell); a towel or change of shoes to clean up prior to getting back into your car.
What to know:
- Boats will load and depart from the Wappoo Cut Boat Ramp promptly at the start of each day. A 5-10 minute boat ride will transport you to and from to the build site. Return times are approximate.
- Each volunteer should make his or her own arrangements to be at the Wappoo Cut Boat Ramp on Folly Rd. in time for loading.
- 7th grade and older only, please.
- Volunteers must be comfortable walking on uneven ground (oyster shell, pluffmud) and capable of lifting ~20 lbs. There will be walking boards to stand on in some places since the shoreline may be very soft.
- You will get very dirty and most likely wet to some degree – your feet will definitely get covered in mud and seawater.
- We will begin each day by loading 350 bags of oyster shell at Wappoo Cut Boat Ramp into a skiff for transport to the build site.
- The builds will last 2.5-3 hours.
- We need at least 10 people each day and can accommodate many, many more.
- The build will only be cancelled for severe weather. Please be aware of the elements and dress appropriately. Please provide a contact number so we can notify you in the event of cancellation.
Please send your name, date you would like to volunteer, and a contact number to Rachel Kalisperis firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-579-8610
Another option is to join Charleston Waterkeeper & SCDNR for later stages of this reef construction! They will meet at the Wappoo Cut Boat Landing on June 23 at 12:30 PM. All materials are provided, including gloves, eye protection, water, gatorade, bug spray, and sunscreen. Please wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty and close-toed shoes. Be eco-friendly and bring your reusable water bottle to refill! Sign up to volunteer online at http://charlestonwater.org/volunteer-job-calendar/